2nd Baptist Church
Thursday, July 28, 2016
Sundays 8:30 & 11am Wednesdays 6pm
The History of Second Baptist Church
Our church had its humble beginning as a mission Sunday School sponsored by the First Baptist Church of Rutherfordton in the early 1920's.
On March 14, 1925, the church was organized and named Green Street Baptist. Nine members met in a rent-free building. For over twenty years, its only possessions were used song books and handmade pews.
In 1937 the church's name was changed to Eastside Baptist.
In 1947, a new church was built on Green Street, and the name was changed to Second Baptist. The church was debt-free in February of 1950.
A parsonage was built in 1952, and a small building beside the church was purchased. This is a now the House of Dreams. Other land was purchased in the 1950s, and the Educational Building was built in the 1960s.
Our biggest project was in the spring of 1973, when be began and completed a new building at the cost of $500,000. The new church building was completed in June of 1974. On the first Sunday in May of 1975, the new church was dedicated. The church property was now valued at over half a million dollars. God has truly blessed Second Baptist Church.
Our church has always been a giving church. Through the years many families and other churches have been helped financially by the generous people of our church. We have been blessed with members who gave faithfully and sacrifically to build and maintain this body of baptized believers we call Second Baptist Church.
By 1985, our membership had grown to 537. With God's blessings and good Christian leaders, we now have a Sunday School class for every age group, graded choirs, and many other church activities. At this point, we have a seven person staff.
As we look back at how and where we began, we can see God's hand in it all. He has truly lead and blessed our church through many difficult times. It is for His glory and the advancement of His Kingdom that Second Baptist Church exist.